- Course Code: UKFEC17VMD
- Location: Online
- Duration: 12 hours
- Cost: ₹25,000.00
- Qualification: Visual Merchandising Diploma
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
Visual Merchandising Diploma
Visual merchandising is one of a retailer’s most valuable assets. When done well, it can drive sales, inspire loyalty in customers, improve the buying experience and communicate a brand’s core values and ideals. This course will provide you with a comprehensive overview of the principles and practices of visual merchandising. Although the content focuses primarily on visual merchandising within a traditional retail environment, much of the material is also relevant in other art and design-based contexts, such as exhibition design, interior design, ecommerce-related web design, and event planning.
This course addresses numerous practical aspects of visual merchandising, including the proper use of planograms, brand communication, the launching of sales campaigns, and arranging seasonal displays. You will learn exactly what drives a customer to make a purchase, and how to harness the shopper’s senses in such a way that they feel inclined to buy a product. Whether you are a small business owner wanting to learn how to show your products to their best advantage, an individual looking to break into the retail industry, or simply someone with a passion for the visual arts, you will soon develop a working knowledge of all key areas of visual merchandising. The knowledge you gain during this course will prepare you to enter this challenging yet rewarding and highly creative profession.
What You Will Learn
- What visual merchandising is, why visual merchandising plays a vital role in the retail industry, and the ways in which visual merchandising practices have changed over time.
- The various kinds of internal and external displays a visual merchandiser will create, the principles underlying good display design, and how planograms are used to guide visual merchandisers in their day-to-day work.
- How visual merchandisers choose, dress and style mannequins when designing displays.
- The most common types of fixtures and fittings used by visual merchandisers and how they are used to construct eye-catching displays.
- Why a visual merchandiser needs to understand the principles behind an effective store layout and how these layouts are put together.
- How visual merchandisers display home furnishings and related products in a way that promotes sales and improves customer engagement.
- The challenges that come with displaying shoes and accessories, together with an overview of the most common techniques used to present items in these categories.
- How visual merchandisers can play a key role in ensuring the success of sales and promotions.
- The most pressing issues confronting retailers today and how they are shaping visual merchandising roles.
- How to begin and develop a career in visual merchandising, together with an overview of alternative career paths for those with previous experience in retail merchandising.
Benefits of taking this course
- You will gain an insight into the necessary qualities and qualifications needed for a career in visual merchandising, which will help you make informed choices when seeking training and employment in this sector.
- You will be in a position to put together effective, attractive displays that incorporate both merchandise and props.
- You will be able to apply for entry-level assistant merchandising roles, confident that you have knowledge of the underlying principles of contemporary retail displays.
- You will be able to begin a career that could give you the opportunity to manage a visual merchandising team, and to assume considerable creative responsibility within a retail environment.
- You can learn the material in any place, at any time, and at your own speed.
- All you need is an internet-enabled device.
- Content is presented as brief modules, making learning easy.
- Affordable cost.
- What is meant by the term ‘visual merchandising’;
- The key aims of visual merchandising as a retail practice;
- The history of visual merchandising;
- Why visual merchandising is important and effective in selling products;
- Why key design principles are the foundation of every successful display;
- The most common types of display used in retail environments;
- How to use lighting, to make merchandise more appealing to the customer;
- How colour can be employed, to display products to good effect;
- The advantages of using mannequins, to display clothing and accessories;
- How to care for and store mannequins;
- How to dress a mannequin;
- The various forms available that can replace or supplement mannequins;
- What is meant by the term ‘fixture’, in the context of the retail industry;
- The relationship between the fixtures used in visual merchandising and the way in which a product or line of products is displayed;
- The various types of stands used in retail environments and how they can enhance a display;
- How to use platforms and elevations, to show off store merchandise;
- What is meant by the term ‘store planning’;
- How the role of a store planner differs from that of a visual merchandiser;
- Why visual merchandisers should take the time to become familiar with the purposes of store planning, and how it is carried out in practice;
- The key purposes and aims of store design;
- The types of merchandise that fall under the category of home accessories (also known as ‘home fashions’;
- The importance of setting the scene and using lifestyle themes, when displaying homeware and home accessories;
- How to display small and fragile goods in a safe, aesthetically pleasing manner;
- How to use mannequins in the promotion of homeware;
- Why the presentation of shoes, jewellery and fashion accessories is just as important as that of clothes;
- The most common props used by visual merchandisers, in order to display items in these categories;
- How to present shoes, in order to form an attractive display;
- How to display jewellery in a way that catches the eye of the customer;
- How visual merchandising plays an essential role in the performance of a sales campaign;
- How to use signs, to promote a sale, and the most effective words and phrases to use, in encouraging sales;
- How to use symbolism, to communicate price reductions;
- How to use mannequins and other props, to draw attention to a sale;
- Why retail does not stand still, and how retailers can stay abreast of the latest trends;
- The rise of online shopping and its implications for visual merchandising;
- Why omnichannel retailing is growing in popularity and the implications of this trend, for those working in visual merchandising;
- The role of pop-up shops in contemporary retail and how a visual merchandiser can put together effective displays, in these environments;
- Why you need to take a proactive approach, in order to advance within the retail industry;
- What you need to consider, before studying a formal qualification, and how to choose the right course for you;
- The options available to you with regards to working hours and environments;
- How to keep up with changing trends in the retail industry;
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the Visual Merchandising Diploma course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 10 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 10 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 10 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Visual Merchandising Diploma course?We estimate that the course will take about 12 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.
What our students say ...
Learn with confidence
New Skills Academy we work in association with industry experts including:
Get a Free Guide to Improve your Career Prospects
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and we will send you our latest news and offers, as well as free copy of our informative guide titled: The Ultimate Guide to Career Intervention