- Course Code: N/A
- Location: Online
- Duration: 15 hours
- Cost: ₹25,000.00
- Qualification: Sign Language Diploma
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major browsers and devices
Sign Language Diploma
Learning sign language can be very beneficial, both on a personal and a business level. It provides you with the ability to enjoy another language and communicate effectively with those who are hard of hearing.
Introduction to the Sign Language Diploma
This sign language diploma provides you with a valuable insight into British Sign Language (BSL). You will learn the history of the language along with the most commonly used words and phrases.
This diploma is made up of twenty four information packed modules, which include over two hundred detailed video instructions and one hundred illustrated guides to help you learn the language quickly and effectively.
Each module should take up to thirty minutes to complete. On completion of the course, you will have a multiple choice test to finish. The test covers a host of points you would have learned in the modules. Once you have passed the test, you can download and print your diploma.
This introductory course, will start you on your journey to accreditation. Created using mainly Southern signs this British Sign Language course will not only start you on your journey into this unique language for but, with its coverage of over 200 basic signs, Sign Language etiquette, and communication tactics, it will also give you a running start if you decide to pursue the formal accreditation systems from either Signature or the iBSL Awarding bodies.
What You Will Learn
The Sign Language Diploma is broken down into twenty four information packed modules. Each module provides you with the knowledge, skill and information you need when learning British Sign Language.
What you can expect to learn when completing this diploma:
- Introduction to British Sign Language – learn where it is used, how people learn this language and so much more in this introductory module.
- Sign language around the world – learn about the different types of sign language used in various countries around the world, identify alternative sign language options.
- Deaf awareness – this module will teach you what deaf awareness means and to understand the different degrees of hearing impairment.
- Job and Career Opportunities – knowing sign language can open up a number of doors for you on a professional level. This module will give you information on how you can use BSL and how to help and support the deaf community.
- Kids and Sign Language – this very important module will help you identify the best time to teach children sign language, the benefits of hearing children learning this language and why special needs children can benefit from BSL.
- British Sign Language Basics – you will learn how BSL differs from English and the different dialects that are used. This module will also provide you with information on how to start a conversation using sign language.
- Before you Begin – in this module you will learn how facial expression is used in BSL and what hand shapes you are going to need to communicate effectively with those with hearing loss.
- Learn to sign common words – you will learn the most commonly used words in sign language. This module includes access to more than ten instructional videos to help you achieve your goal and communicate effectively using BSL.
- Learn to sign numbers and the alphabet – learn to sign numbers from one to one million, learn how to sign the alphabet and take advantage of nine informative videos, so you know you are doing them right.
- Learn to sign family and people – this module is going to teach you how to effectively sign words that are associated with family and people, such as “you”, “me” and “
Sister”, for example. You will have full access to over twenty videos with this module.
- Sign questions – this module will help you sign questions that you may want to ask by using words that form a question, such as “what” or “who”. You will have access to six detailed videos during this module.
- Signing school – in this module you will learn how to sign words associated with education, complete with thirteen informative videos.
- Learn to sign home – you will learn the most commonly used words to do with the home. You will enjoy the convenience of the seven videos that are available with this module.
- Learn to sign time – signing time can be quite tricky, but with the twenty detailed videos that come with this module, you will be able to pick this up quickly and effectively.
- Food and drink – learn how to sign words associated with food and drink. This module comes with over twenty detailed videos.
- Descriptions and colours – this module is going to help you sign the most commonly used descriptions and colours in BSL. You will have access to a number of videos to help you with your sign language skills moving forward.
- Phrases – learning to sign the most common phrases will help you start using your BSL as soon as possible.
- Animals, sports, transport, money and more – there are a number of modules that cover the basics associated with BSL and will help you to communicate effectively at all times with those who have hearing loss.
Benefits of a Sign Language Diploma
There are numerous benefits of choosing to complete this diploma.
- There are eleven million people in the United Kingdom who have hearing loss. This equates to one in six. It is estimated that by 2035, there will be over fifteen million people with hearing loss. You will be able to communicate effectively with each and every one of them.
- You will be able to communicate effectively both on a personal and a business level.
- Having BSL will open up a number of opportunities for you.
- There are no entry requirements for taking this course.
- You can learn at your own pace.
- To learn where British Sign Language is utilised, and where it is not
- To learn why British Sign Language is unintelligible to many others who use sign language
- To understand how British Sign Language is used throughout the region
- To learn how people learn British Sign Language
- To understand why there are so many sign language systems in the world
- To understand why many sign language systems are interconnected
- To learn about the major sign language systems in the world
- To learn about the alternative sign language systems
- To understand what it means to be deaf aware
- To understand the varying degrees of hearing impairment
- To understand the public and private resources available for promoting deaf awareness
- To learn the importance of being deaf aware both at home and in the wider community
- To learn how certain careers help and support the deaf community
- To learn where opportunities can be found to work with or teach the deaf
- To understand what training requirements are needed for each career path
- To learn how volunteering with the deaf community can enhance any job
- To learn when to teach children sign language
- To learn about the history of children learning sign language
- To understand the benefits of sign language in hearing children
- To understand the benefits of sign language in children with special needs
- To learn what makes British Sign Language different from English
- To understand that there are different dialects of British Sign Language
- To learn the ideal settings for using sign language
- To learn how to begin a conversation using sign language
- To understand how facial expression plays a vital role in British Sign Language
- To understand that facial expression is different to miming
- To learn the handshapes that you will need in order to communicate effectively
- To learn about the various classifiers used in BSL
- Learn some of the most commonly used words in sign language
- Learn how to sign words such as: "Please", "Thank you", "Yes" and "No"
- You will have access to over 10 instructional videos
- Learn how to sign numbers and the alphabet
- Learn how to sign numbers from one to one million
- You also get access to 9 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign words associated with people and family
- To learn how to sign words such as “You”, “Baby” and “Sister”
- You will also get access to over 20 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign the words that help you form questions
- To learn how to sign words such as “Who”, “What” and “Where”
- You will get access to 6 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign the words associated with education
- To learn how to sign words such as “Teacher”, “Learn” and “Book”
- You will get access to over 10 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign the words associated with the home
- To learn how to sign words such as “House”, “Bathroom” and “Telephone”
- You will get access to 7 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign the words associated with time and the days of the week
- To learn how to sign words such as: “Hour”, “Month” and “Morning”
- You will get access to 21 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign the words associated with food and drink
- To learn how to sign words such as: “Apples”, “Chicken” and “Rice”
- You will get access to 20 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign common descriptive words
- To learn how to sign words such as: “Cold”, “Sad” and “Slow”
- You will get access to 13 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign common colours
- To learn how to sign words such as: “Black”, “White” and “Red”
- You will get access to 9 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign the words for commonly found animals
- To learn how to sign words such as: “Cat”, “Horse” and “Monkey”
- Get access to detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign the words for some of the most popular sports and hobbies
- To learn how to sign words such as: “Football”, “Golf” and “Gardening”
- You will get access to 19 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign the words for some of the common modes of transport
- To learn how to sign words such as: “Train”, “Car” and “Helicopter”
- You will get access to 9 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign the words associated with money
- To learn how to sign words such as: “Bank”, “Pay” and “Pounds”
- To get access to 18 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign the words associated with the weather and seasons
- To learn how to sign words such as: “Rain”, “Warm” and “Summer”
- You will get access to over 15 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign the words associated with careers
- To learn how to sign words such as: “Salary”, “Tax” and “Job”
- You will get access to 15 detailed instructional videos
- To learn how to sign sentences that form questions
- To learn how to sign phrases such as: “How are you?”
- Have access to 20 detailed instructional videos
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the Sign Language Diploma course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 24 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 24 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 24 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Sign Language Diploma course?We estimate that the course will take about 15 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.
What our students say ...
Learn with confidence
New Skills Academy we work in association with industry experts including:
Get a Free Guide to Improve your Career Prospects
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and we will send you our latest news and offers, as well as free copy of our informative guide titled: The Ultimate Guide to Career Intervention