- Course Code: UKFEC16ROW
- Location: Online
- Duration: 20 hours
- Cost: ₹25,000.00
- Qualification: Romantic Writing Diploma
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
Romantic Writing Diploma
The Romantic Writing Diploma course has all of the knowledge required to break into the romance writing industry in the United Kingdom. This training course is filled with all you need to know to become a successful writer and to push yourself to create books and stories.
From learning about what is required to become a romance writer to creating the plot and illustrating your romance story, this course has it all. You will receive a full introduction to writing romance stories, and will obtain a deep understanding of how to become a successful writer in the romance genre.
Introduction to the Romantic Writing Diploma
This is an online course that will give all students the unique ability to learn the curriculum in their own time and at their own pace. Most students are able to continue working full time, and still finish the course in a reasonable amount of time.
Since this is an online course, this diploma is accessible from any device with an internet connection, and you will also have access to online support during the time you train.
Before completing the course, you must pass a comprehensive test, which will award you with your certificate. You can download and print the certificate from home, or we can post the diploma to you for a small additional cost.
What You Will Learn
The Romantic Writing Diploma course has been written to give students a full overview of becoming a romance writer, and will put you on track to succeed. This course will cover:
- An introduction to becoming a romance writer
- What is required to become a romance writer
- How looking at other successful romance writers can help one to advance their career
- How to select a demographic and point of view when writing
- How to establish the setting for any romance story
- Ways to build up characters and plots when writing a romance story
- How to use a backstory without being boring
- Writing dialogue to keep flow in the story
- Improving confidence when writing
- Writing exercises to improve writing
- Choosing illustrations and/or illustrators
- How to work with publishers and sell romance stories
Benefits of the Romantic Writing Diploma
When taking the Romantic Writing Diploma course, there are a number of benefits that you will experience. These include:
- The option to study from any location at any time, both at home and away or out and about
- Studying at your own pace; there is no time limit, so you can take days, weeks, or even months to finish the course
- Using any internet-enabled device to study from, including mobile phones, tablets and computers
- Easily reading the course, thanks to the short modules, which make studying more enjoyable
- Experiencing the convenience of an online support system, which allows students to stay on track during their studies
- Learning from a comprehensive syllabus, which helps to guarantee that you get the knowledge necessary to begin writing romance themed stories
- Improving prospects when seeking out publishers
- Earning a certified and recognised diploma
- An affordable cost
- The basics of romance writing
- An example of the typical romance novel outline
- The essential elements of what being a romance writer involves
- Suggestions about who might be interested in becoming a romance writer
- What tools you'll need to become a romance writer
- What personal skills an aspiring romance writer should possess
- The advantages and disadvantages or working from home as a writer
- How to do the research and exercise your creativity on a regular basis
- Heidi Rice, who went from romance reader to writer
- Amanda Hocking, the self-publishing millionaire
- Nicholas Sparks, the male romance writer
- Danielle Steel, the bestselling author alive
- Sub-genres within the romance genre
- Understanding demographics and statistics to really know your audience
- Tips on how to identify who your target audience is
- Beach reads - who will be after your steamy summer tale?
- How to write a fabulous first page, with what you should include and leave out
- Different approaches for your first chapter
- Why the setting is so important
- How important the setting is to your romance novel
- How to write a character profile
- The key to knowing your characters
- The heroine - the key to a great romance novel
- How to create romantic heroes your readers will love
- The role of plot within your story
- How to plot your romance novel
- Common romance novel plot attributes
- Fabulous plot ideas to get you fired up and ready to write
- What exactly is backstory?
- The most important tip for creating an interesting backstory
- How to weave backstory smoothly into your romance novel
- How Harlequin Romance editors work on backstory with authors
- Some essential dialogue writing tips
- Writer's Digest's tools of dialogue
- How to make your dialogue seem more organic
- Writing romantic dialogue
- How to build your writing confidence
- Secrets for writing with confidence
- How to overcome writer's doubt
- Tips for writing with a sense of purpose
- The lover's spat exercise
- Writing from random idea generators
- Creative writing prompts for romance novels
- Characterisation exercises for romance writers
- Why genre is the most important consideration when choosing an illustrator
- How authors can work successfully with cover illustrators
- Where you can find an illustrator
- The essential elements needed in a classic romance novel cover
- The basics of submitting your work to Mills and Boon
- The basics of submitting your work to Harlequin
- Whether you should consider the self-publishing route
- What to do if you get rejected
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the Romantic Writing Diploma course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 13 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 13 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 13 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Romantic Writing Diploma course?We estimate that the course will take about 20 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.
What our students say ...
Learn with confidence
New Skills Academy we work in association with industry experts including:
Get a Free Guide to Improve your Career Prospects
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and we will send you our latest news and offers, as well as free copy of our informative guide titled: The Ultimate Guide to Career Intervention