- Course Code: UKMG17CGD
- Location: Online
- Duration: 30 hours
- Cost: ₹35,000.00
- Qualification: The Complete Gardening Diploma
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
Includes the Following Courses
The Complete Gardening Diploma
Whether you are thinking of starting a career outdoors as a gardening expert or you are already working in the industry and are thinking of starting your own garden company, The Complete Gardening Diploma is the right choice for you.
Garden Design and Maintenance Diploma
This information packed course will teach you the basics you need to start your own gardening company or boost your career within the gardening industry. You can turn your hobby into a successful business by completing the twenty nine modules and passing the multiple choice question test.
The modules cover everything from basic gardening to pest control, landscaping and more. The course takes approximately fifteen hours to complete and on successful completion, you will have the ability to download and print your industry recognised diploma.
When applying for a position within the gardening industry, your potential employer will be able to confirm your certification online. During your studies you will enjoy the convenience of studying at your own pace with no set schedule and from anywhere using any device, as long as you have a connection to the internet to access the modules.
The modules included in this Garden Design and Maintenance Diploma are brimming with information to help you jumpstart your gardening career and turn your hobby and passion into a money-making opportunity.
Zen Gardening Certificate
We have created this Zen Gardening course to give students all the information they require to build and care for a Zen garden. When you complete this course, you will know all you need to know about creating a Zen garden as well as how to keep it up over the years.
The course contains topics ranging from understanding Zen and Buddhism to general garden maintenance and pest control. We have worked to ensure that this course allows you to create a Zen garden that you will love, and one that you can care for year after year.
The course is totally online and offers students a convenient way to work through the course material that works best for their personal schedules. Students can continue to work full time while taking the course.
Urban Gardening Certificate
This Urban Gardening course is designed to give you all the information you need to start a garden in an urban area. Upon completing the course, not only will you be ready to create a garden from scratch, you will know how to keep up and expand your garden year after year.
This course includes everything from choosing a location for your urban garden to collecting seeds from your garden for the following years. We have created this course to ensure that you understand what creating an urban garden entails and how to care for the garden you create.
The course is online and provides you with a convenient way to study the course material when it is most convenient for your schedule. Students who take the course still have time to continue working.
- Soil type, soil evaluation & soil improvement: learn about the different types of natural soil and additional plant mixers which can be used to stimulate plant growth.
- Garden planning & preparation: Understand the importance of initial planning on paper, before beginning the practical aspects of gardening.
- Plant planning & purchase tips: Determine plant types and their uses, discover plant purchasing techniques.
- Maintenance-Soil Nourishment & Watering: Learn the different materials essential for the nourishment of soil to facilitate growing and maintenance of healthy plants.
- To discover the importance of the initial consultation, ongoing discussions, clarity and onsite analysis.
- To understand the necessity of site surveying and garden concept plans to aid the decision- making process and avoid potential mishaps.
- The basic elements of good garden design, including the plant options, hardscapes, texture and colour elements.
- To become aware of the process in reaching the master garden plan stage and incorporating further elements into during the implementation stage.
- The importance of gathering inspiration daily from all avenues of your life, nature, other gardens, books, online and your creative inspiration.
- An expansive list of garden design possibilities and the insight that there can be one singular theme, a combination of two or more or an adapted version of any.
- How creating a garden design mood board assists both the owner and garden designer in creating a visual effect of the ideas, colours, plants and preferred overall theme, which can be incorporated into the garden space and features available.
- How to use a virtual mood board created from an array of images.
- Materials and areas of measurements required for surveying a site for garden design
- The various measurement techniques used for accurately measuring the different aspects required for completing a site survey, including curved and irregular areas
- Various scales used in recording site measurements on survey maps
- Correct photographic recordings and survey map drawing requirements
- Learn the benefits of project planning regardless of the size of project
- Become knowledgeable in the stages of project planning
- Discover the importance of creating timelines, chronological action step lists and available resources
- Learn about developing preliminary plans and baseline plans when planning a garden project
- Discover ways to incorporate and create optical illusion methods to enhance small garden spaces so they appear larger than life, such as creating focal points and distractions
- You will learn many techniques including the use of long lines and garden division methods
- The effective use of space to create a garden that suits all tastes and preferences
- Learn about narrow plant varieties, shelf layering and creating a portable garden to suit small gardens
- You will learn how time spent with creative experimentation on paper can result in saving a lot of timely and costly delays and allow for the optimal garden creation for each space
- You will learn how to draw a garden plan which offers beauty and practicality once you have carried out a site survey and consultation
- You will discover how to create a scale for your garden plan that allows ease of following and minimize mistakes
- You will know how to create a graphic from your garden plan to show best visual representation for the proposed changes and design options
- The different considerations you should make before deciding which garden surface materials to choose for each landscape for effective style and functionality.
- The different hard landscaping options, which can be used for varying garden requirements and preferences from solid garden flooring options like stone and concrete to softer, uneven options such as glass beadings or pebbles.
- The advantages and uses of combining two or more hard surface options within one garden such as cost, functionality and style.
- How to be familiar with the creative use of hard landscaping materials that are used to turn dull spaces into stunning visual displays and create functional but attractive garden areas.
- Learn the composition of the various soil types including their textures and unique components.
- Learn the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of soil and what can be done to enhance each for increased fertility.
- Discover the types of plants that are best suited to each soil type: sandy, chalky, clay, peat, silt and loam.
- Discover the secrets of creating great soil by use of organic, natural materials.
- Learn the advantages of planting native species to enhance your garden and surrounding wildlife species
- Learn how to best use space constraints and other factors to adhere to when planning the spatial aspects of plant life.
- Learn about colour themes and the colour wheel so that the garden plants, shrubs and trees chosen complement the existing background and client preferences.
- Learn about the effect of sunlight and climate features in relation to plant selection.
- Understand plant reproductive systems: Asexual and sexual reproduction, plus a little plant physiology.
- Receive a brief introduction to plant classification for a beginning to what plants to use.
- Learn what plants work well in different gardens and the importance of matching certain plants together.
- Learn about exotic and tropical plants, the care they need and how to grow them in temperate climates.
- How to identify high maintenance areas in an existing garden
- The different types of low maintenance gardens
- How to use gravel, soil, and turf to make the garden maintenance lower
- How planting few varieties, but more in number is a solution
- Why creating a garden with plants that are maintainable is important
- Why edible plants are sustainable
- Going native with plants for sustainability
- Reusing and Recycling Materials in the Garden
- How to reduce maintenance if it is getting out of control
- Pruning and deadheading for appropriate care of plants
- How to perform natural pest control
- Winterisation in a temperate climate is an essential part of owning a garden
- What equipment you will need to run a garden design & maintenance service
- How to choose the right tools for each job
- What each piece of equipment is capable of
- About racks & stakes for vine plants
- How to define and identify common gardening pests
- The difference between natural and chemical pesticides
- How to garden based on the pests in your garden
- How to monitor the pests in your garden to determine if a treatment plan is working
- About adding container plants to keep the plants owners love without possible difficulties
- How changing irrigation and watering systems can make a difficult garden easier to manage
- About adding new plants with an eye towards low maintenance or new landscaping for easier gardens
- How sometime starting over is the best option
- What to plant
- How to plant vegetable and herb gardens
- How to fertilize the garden
- About canning
- About tailoring your services to meet the needs of groups of customers
- How to build a website presence
- How to price your service
- Why customer service is essential
- About website business marketing
- About marketing and social media for a bricks and mortar company
- Why networking is still important
- About advertising costs
- Health and safety laws, including the Policy Statement
- The responsibilities of an employer, employee and safety officer
- The risks involved in gardening
- The employee training requirements
- An overview of the types of insurance required
- The income business tax structure
- The implications of VAT and how it will affect your business
- Record keeping and software: you will need to have detailed records for taxes, which is made easier by software
- Benefits of raised beds
- Materials to use for raised beds
- Ideal dimensions for raised beds
- Step by step directions of how to make a raised bed
- What is a patio
- What is an ideal size for a patio
- What materials to use for a patio
- Materials needed to lay a patio
- Planning a deck
- Ideal Placement of a deck
- Choosing the material to build it with
- Tools needed
- The importance of fencing
- What factors to consider while deciding upon a fence type
- Choosing the best option for a particular garden
- The types of fences available and where to use them
- About choosing the right grass or turf for the lawn
- How to prepare the soil for turf
- How to take care of turf to establish a lawn
- A step by step guide to laying turf
- Why there is a need for artificial turf
- The types of turf available
- Calculation of cost and material
- Material you will need
- Choosing the right site
- Picking out the correct lining
- Material and tools needed to build the pond
- Step by step instructions to build a basic pond
- A history of Zen gardening
- What is Zen?
- What is at the centre of Zen?
- What makes a garden Zen?
- Understanding the elements of a Zen garden
- How yin and yang can be incorporated
- Understanding the symbolism of rocks in a Zen garden
- Gravel in a Zen garden
- Creating a plan for a Zen Garden
- Using Feng Shui in a Zen Garden
- Laying a Foundation for a Zen Garden
- Common Plants for Zen Gardens
- The symbolism of water in Japanese culture
- The symbolism of water in Buddhist culture
- Ponds in Japanese Zen gardens
- Waterfalls in Japanese Zen gardens
- The tools required to care for a Zen Garden
- Preparing the gravel in a Zen Garden
- Raking a Zen Garden
- General Zen garden maintenance
- A history of urban gardening;
- How to choose the right location for an urban garden;
- How to determine how much sun a location gets;
- The basic tools that you need for urban gardening;
- How to find out what hardiness rating means;
- The USDA and the RHS systems for hardiness;
- The difference between annuals and perennials;
- Creating a budget for your garden;
- How to properly prepare soil for your garden;
- The different ways to plant;
- The importance of crop rotation;
- Correct watering techniques;
- How to properly weed a garden;
- How to tackle pests in a garden;
- How to stop disease in a garden;
- Correct transplanting methods;
- How to create compost;
- How to preserve fruit and vegetables;
- How to cut and dry flowers;
- Preparing your garden for winter;
Fantastic course, very educational
I decided to take an online course in garden maintenance etc. as I love my garden. Found the Complete Garden Design and Maintenance course on New Skills Academy which covered Urban, Zen and Design all in one.
So far I have completed the Urban and Zen and thoroughly enjoyed them both. My brother has asked me to design a Zen garden for him next summer so I can’t wait to put my ideas into practise.
Fantastic course, very educational, has given me some great inspiration and excellent value for money! I would recommend it to anybody.
Donna Coleman – Kettering
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the Complete Gardening Diploma course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The Complete Gardening Diploma Course consists of 3 courses:
Each course consists of between 5 and 29 individual modules.
Modules can take from 20 to 90 minutes to complete. You are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Do I have to study the courses in a certain order?No. You can study the courses in any order you choose. If you want to, you can do one module from a course and then move on to the next course.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Yes. Once you have completed all of the modules for each course there will be a multiple choice test.
The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for each test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process.
We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Complete Gardening Diploma course?We estimate that the course will take about 30 hours to complete in total.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.
What our students say ...
Learn with confidence
New Skills Academy we work in association with industry experts including:
Get a Free Guide to Improve your Career Prospects
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and we will send you our latest news and offers, as well as free copy of our informative guide titled: The Ultimate Guide to Career Intervention